Leadership: What Real Leaders Do. – http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140105233532-23074630-on-love-leadership-what-real-leaders-do
Category Archives: Leadership
Exercise one hour a day, prioritise, eat well, meditate, just some of the tips to boost energy. http://m.inc.com/?incid=43496
Everyone aspires to greatness and becoming great Leaders. Deepak Chopra talks about “How to Find the Leader within” – we’re all capable of it, whether in our home, work place or even the country. He suggests several key points on this question; (i) identifying your skills and strengths and the team you need to reach your aspirations and (ii) Being engaged; interested and keeping your team engaged.
I recently completed this book by Keith Harrell and found it an interesting read. Mostly because it contained advice from real-life business Leaders, who share their background and what they believe a Leader should have. Each chapter profiles a Leader and each chapter is short and easy to read. Here are some snippets that caught my eye:
- Leadership is contagious. A commitment to be our best and to inspire others to be their best sets up a leadership legacy that motivates others to respond in kind.
- Hire good people because disciplining or firing employees can be a challenge
- We must be in a profession that matches our personality, style and skills or we won’t make it to the top
- If you want to contribute to society and make a difference, figure out your strengths, what you love to do and how you can purposely place yourself in a position to add the most value
- Avoid thinking negative thoughts that hold you back. Cancel each negative thought with a positive one.
- As a leader who wants better results, it starts with good programming – the things you read, the things you watch on TV, the things you say and what others say to you. This programming creates your belief and your belief creates your attitude.
- Good habits are hard to develop and easy to live with and bad habits are easy to develop but hard to live with.
- Leaders need to have positive self-esteem, because when you feel good about yourself, you want to enhance yourself. When you’re confident, you seek to enrich your soul, heart and brain so you can do and be your best.
- Transformational Leadership means the lives we touch, people we grow and environment that we nurture.
- Passion and Enthusiasm is contagious.
- Control what you can control. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- We may not have control over many of the circumstances in our lives but we can control how we respond to them. Attitude is a choice.
- A leader’s job is to get results through his or her people, if your staff members are working effectively, autonomously, then you know you’ve succeded as a Leader.
- Leadership is behaving in a way that engenders trust. Others trust us when they perceive us acting with integrity. Integrity is understanding that cutting corners is not an option. Build trust by respecting others and giving others our Trust by allowing them to make things happen and by delivering on our commitment.
- True leadership is not about self-achievement, it’s about empowering and motivating others to achieve.
- The most important responsibility of a leader is to provide strategic direction to the enterprise
- Turn commands into Requests for Cooperation, turning “You Have to” to “Could you please?”
- People are motivated by the mission and purpose of the organisation. And so it is extremely important for an organisation to have a well-defined mission and purpose. 3 excellent objections : (i) To honor GOD in all we do, (ii) To help people develop and (iii) To pursue excellence.
- PAT Principle of Success= Passion, Approachability, Thoughtfulness.
- Leaders can develop people skills but it starts with the heart and ends with the heart. You have to care about people. You can’t fake or learn that.
- Listen to those being led, being a servant-leader and not an authoritative leader.
- The power of love and how to exercise love in challenging situations. Love finds the pause button, allowing you to gain control of your emotions when you’d rather lose your temper. Love is coachable, teachable, doesn’t get offended at correction. Love cares more for others than for self.
- An attitude of Leadership is: A leader is patient, kind and walks in love, A leader is not jealous, conceited or proud, A leader is not illmannered, selfish or irritable, A leader does not keep a record of wrong things done to them, A leader is proactive, not reactive, A leader is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, honest and integrity, A leader is steadfast, focused and committed to their vision, A leader is ever ready to believe the best of every person, and treats everyone with respect.